Spirus Crayg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Useful Links for Baking & Cooking
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptyMon Oct 02, 2023 7:51 am by Jovial

» USDA's List of Bioengineered Foods
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 3:41 am by Jovial

» Quail for Tick Control
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptySat Sep 30, 2023 1:04 am by Jovial

» New Dinosaur Discovered!
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptyFri Sep 29, 2023 8:09 pm by Jovial

» Urine Odor Eliminator
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptyThu Sep 28, 2023 12:21 pm by Jovial

» Shelters for Feral and Wild Animals
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptySun Sep 24, 2023 4:44 pm by Jovial

» Armchair Travels
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptySun Sep 24, 2023 4:11 pm by Jovial

» Winter Solstice (Midwinter / Yule)
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptySat Sep 23, 2023 11:35 pm by Jovial

» Yule Festival December 21 - Jan 1
What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? EmptySat Sep 23, 2023 11:27 pm by Jovial

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday?

Go down

What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday? Empty What to do with Halloween pumpkins after the holiday?

Post by Jovial Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:33 pm

For years, my kids had a blast burning our Halloween pumpkins about a week after the holiday.  Now they're grown and gone we rarely even carve a pumpkin, so this topic is not very relevant to us right now.  

Nevertheless, I can't help myself...I have to wonder what we should -or should not do- with post-holiday pumpkins that would benefit animals, either domestic or wild. 

For the "do not do" category, I've been seeing posts on Facebook admonishing everyone not to use bleach or other chemicals to make them last longer.  This is not a good idea for any pumpkin, anywhere as it will eventually be eaten -at least partly by an animal of some sort somewhere. Whether birds, bugs, mice, or raccoons something will be feasting on it, and if it's toxic it might begin a chain reaction that could cause misery and death far beyond the new year. Soaking your pumpkin in a solution of vinegar and water will kill mold spores so it will last quite a while longer, without causing any harm to pets or wildlife.  They will be safe to add to compost, feed worms, or donate to a local zoo.

Does anyone else have any ideas for them?

Jovial
Admin

https://spiruscrayg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum